The Government has announced that it is going to support a Private Members Bill, to enable tenants to sue for breach of contract, if their homes do not meet minimum safety standards.
There have been many measures over the years, which have had the cumulative effect of increasing the burden of legislation on Landlords, so that:
• Deposits must be placed in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme
• Landlords can be liable if Tenants report poor housing conditions
• Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms must be fitted
• The risk of Legionnaires’ Disease must be assessed
• Gas Safety and Furniture and Furnishings Fire safety regulations must be observed
• Mandatory information must be given to tenants
• Immigration status and identity must be checked.
Failure to understand the law can have serious consequences for Landlords.
We can help Landlords to get the law right, if you need advice contact us on 01727 858807 or firstname.lastname@example.org